When Harry Lee died, there was a lot of propaganda on state
media saying that Harry Lee wanted to protect mother tongue of
Singaporeans. Actually that was a complete lie.
The mother tongue of chinese Singaporeans is dialect, not
mandarin. Mandarin is an alien language from northern China imposed
on southern chinese.
It is complete garbage to say that Harry Lee protected mother
tongue of chinese Singaporeans. He suppressed and destroyed our
mother tongue. We are the only people in Singapore to have our
mother tongue disrespected and wiped out.
PAP keep on repeat the lie over and over on state propaganda TV
that mandarin is mother tongue of chinese singaporeans. I think
this lie must be exposed, it is a total lie, it is Harry Lee's
lies.
Hong Kong activists will rally on Sunday against China’s bid to
champion Mandarin over Cantonese, following a rare protest for the
same cause in southern China.
Organizers have called on supporters via Facebook to help protect
their mother tongue, after hundreds protested in support of
Cantonese in Guangzhou last weekend, defying government orders.
The demonstrations follow official advice issued to southern
Chinese TV stations proposing they switch key shows into Mandarin
from Cantonese.
Choi Suk-fong (蔡淑芳), one of the organizers of the Hong Kong
protest, said Beijing’s moves to promote Mandarin were a form of
suppression of the rights of minorities in the country.
“Cantonese was often
portrayed as a second-class language when Hong Kong was under
British colonial rule,” she said. “Sadly, the use of our mother
tongue is now being attacked again, only this time the perpetrator
is our Chinese government.”
The People’s Political Consultative Conference wrote this month to
Guangzhou Province’s bureaucrats proposing that local TV stations
broadcast their prime-time shows in Mandarin instead of Cantonese
ahead of the Asian Games in November.
Officials were quoted as saying that adopting Mandarin would
promote unity, “forge a good language environment” and cater to
non-Cantonese-speaking Chinese visitors at the huge sporting
event.
Rally organizers wrote on the
event’s Facebook page: “I believe we can gather 100,000 people to
stop China’s evil act of promoting Mandarin and destroying
Cantonese!!!”
More than 150 visitors to the Facebook page had signed up for the
protest by yesterday afternoon, including some from Guangzhou.
Many of the demonstrators in Guangzhou were young people wearing
T-shirts reading, “I love Guangzhou” — written in Cantonese —
shouting “Protect Cantonese, Love Guangzhou” and singing popular
Cantonese songs, the Global Times reported.
Su Zhijia, a deputy Chinese Communist Party secretary in Guangzhou,
was quoted in theGlobal Times as saying there were no
plans to dilute Cantonese, adding: “The city government has never
had such a plan to abandon or weaken Cantonese.”
Guangzhou TV has responded by saying it would refuse to change its
mix of Cantonese and Mandarin programming, the Yangcheng Evening
News said last week.
However, many Cantonese speakers still worry
about the future of a language that is the mother tongue for people
in Hong Kong, Macau and Guangdong Province, and is widely spoken in
overseas Chinese communities.
Beijing made Mandarin the country’s official language in 1982,
leading to bans on other dialects at many radio and TV
stations.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2010/07/28/2003479016